Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why furniture?

It always so interesting to ask craftsmen how they decided to do what they do. The other day in our showroom, I met a man who makes guitars for a living (an honest to goodness luthier!). The story behind that choice must be just fascinating.

I've asked our craftsmen this question and they all have their own stories, like the craftsman who works for us who comes from a family of cabinetmakers.

I asked a similar question of Adam King, a furniture maker in Olney, Illinois, and he said the following:

It's that compulsion that drives me to strive for a closer connection to my materials and my heritage in this craft. It's that compulsion that has me exploring new ways to bring a very real emotional connection to you through my designs and my stories. It's that compulsion that's moving me in a direction that is honest and true to my passions and talents so that I can offer you the best work I could possibly create.


Go read the rest. It's worth it.

No comments: